Thursday, January 20, 2011

Thoughts ...

I had a little time to think over the past week (along with a little cabin fever) Seriously, I find my mind running non-stop when I lay down to sleep at night, because I have little time for random thoughts during the day. However, last week the snow storm of 2011 hit Atlanta. It came as snow, but quickly turned to ice as the temperatures went up and down over the course of a 4 day period. It is entirely impossible to drive up an icy hill .... so we stayed home. The good news was we had some family time, the bad news was the twins were stuck at Gma and Papaw Rose's ... so there we were ... with just a 4 year old. Don't get me wrong, I missed my babies like crazy ... but I experienced something that was incredible. One on one time with Tyson for 4 days! I felt like I got to know him all over again. Movies, puzzles, hot chocolate, naps on the couch, stories and games.


So what random thoughts came out of this ... so many! Wow, it was so easy to spend time with him. I don't think he spent one minute in time out. He went to bed on time, he ate his dinner. What did you do with my son?! Instantly it hit me ... how terrible it must be for him to feel like he is constantly competing for our attention. We try ... I think we try, maybe we don't give him enough attention ... no, we do. Just a snapshot of what went through my head that week.

Did I ever really think it was tough to have one child? I would never have know how easy it was if I never had the challenge of having three children. It is not about how hard I thought it was, it is about the learning curve and the experience. It is about the challenge and the reward. In a funny way, and maybe a weird way, this was an incredible lesson for me. I learned how far I have come as a mother since the day Tyson was born. I realized why he might do the things he does, that typically would put me into "crazy mom" mode. Those snow days put a different spin on motherhood for me. The next time he fights for attention I might think about it a little differently.

So if you have followed my random thoughts at all. In a nutshell ... I have been thinking a lot about challenges. What I used to think was hard, is now a piece of cake. So I extended that thought into my career as well. I struggle with wanting to be 100% at my job, 100% as a mom, and 100% as a wife ... I tend to feel a little overwhelmed. This experience made me realize something. I have accomplished a lot and maybe a few years from now I will think I was crazy for ever thinking what I am going through now is hard ... so I will push on with my career, push on with being a mom, push on with being a wife and tackle the next challenge.

Thanks cabin fever ... I needed those random thoughts.




No comments: