Happy Easter! I pictured this post very different days ago, one filled with pictures of colorful Easter eggs and our Tyson. Today I was touched by a story that was told at our Easter service. When I woke up this morning it was not a torn decision, I knew I was supposed to listen to the message today. It felt great to get out of the house, although exhausted physically upon return, what I heard today will stay with me forever.
Let me start by saying that our Church has been incredible to us. It is so clear that we are supposed to be part of this Church family. There is a reason the Lord took us down this path and we are so ever thankful! North Bridge Fellowship has changed our lives and is teaching us so much about living for our Lord.
There is a woman in our congregation that was brave enough to tell her story, the story of her road, her own personal journey through life. She starts describing her road so long ago as a beautiful road, lined with flowers and willow trees. One that was so perfect that she could not see the huge bend in the road ahead of her. A bend that was very dark and a very scary place. She goes on to tell of her mother's death, when she herself was 25 years old. This is where her road began to become more of a broken road. I tried to put myself in those shoes and teared up just thinking about the parts of my life my mother would have missed if she left me at 25. No medical explanation was ever given. Her mother went to sleep and never woke up. She was left to care for younger siblings. Next she describes a 20 year marriage with six kids, completely torn apart when her husband left her. She was left to care for her six children by herself after 20 years of marriage! How did she manage to maintain herself? As I listened I admired her for her strength. Not long after the road continues to get darker. Her 15 year old son was killed in a car accident. As a mother my eyes filled up with tears. I continued to listen to her describe the one thing as a mother you never want to hear. She says "I joined the club that no mother every wants to join." I was thinking to myself, how is she still standing, how does she have the strength to tell this story? Who deserves this much pain? Why? Next, she explains while still mourning the loss of her 15 year old son her house is burnt to the ground, she has lost everything! She looks right at the congregation and said "But I had not lost everything, the things in my house were all materials, things that can be replaced." Again, I was completely taken by her strength. Where is this coming from? The answer was very simple. She goes on to describe her faith in Jesus Christ. How he has left his fingerprint on her heart. How she longs to see his sweet face at the gates of Heaven. How her faith has gotten her this far. How she knows she will see her son again. How she always turns to the Lord to talk. Yes, she was devastated by these horrible moments in her life but she is standing before me today telling me about her love for Jesus Christ! How today, Easter, is such a special day. What brings her peace, eternal life! Her road has again curved and is looking brighter. She has married and is continuing in her life as a Christian.
I was so touch by her story I had to share. As I think of some of the things in my life I have complained about, I am ashamed. How could I think that way?! After her story my eyes had filled with tears and I was so engaged in the message our pastor had to give. I felt so close to everyone surrounding me and so close to God. Our Sunday morning worship was beautiful and I realized then why the decision to get out of the house today was so easy to make. That story, that service, made a huge impact on me.
1 Peter 1:7
These trials are only to test your faith, to show that it is strong and pure It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold - and your faith is far more precious to God than mere gold. So if your faith remains strong after being tried by fiery trails, it will bring you much pride and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Chris is revealed to the whole world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Thank you so much for sharing this story Brooke! What an unbelievable woman! I feel so blessed and thank God for our lives every day! Happy Easter to you and your family! Jacob and I pray for Jaxson and Dakota every night when I put him to bed! Get some rest...and maybe eat some Easter candy (I hear not yet born babies like Easter candy!) :)
What an incredible testimony! I absolutely love witnessing your journey & growth in your faith!
I got your text late last night. Sorry I didn't reply. We hope you had a great Easter!
Post a Comment