I was the one observing today during my lunch hour vs. the one being observed. I had spent longer than I should have at Target (my favorite lunchtime store) realizing I still needed to grab a bite to eat and get back to the office. I was irritated with the 12:30 rush at Panera Bread, but already in line decided I would just order to go.
I could not help but notice the little boy in his cowboy hat and cowboy boots about four business men and women in front of me in line. She stuck out like a sore thumb, the mom that is. Her son in her arms dressed like it was Halloween, and then I saw her. The sweet little girl, so proud of the number three on her shirt, dancing around the cookies in her tutu. She was sure to tell her mom, just a few times, exactly which one she wanted. I watched everyone gawk at her. The rest of us with our cell phones and laptop bags, tapping our feet in a hurry to get back to the office. The cowboy had been delightfully eating his yogurt in a tube. As a mom I know how important this was. It was keeping him extremely occupied during the long wait to the cash register. The calm moment quickly turned. The cowboy slung his yogurt tube, splashing red and blue yogurt all over the floor and the business suit of the man in the front of the line. The young lady behind her, 20 something with her designer handbag looked completely annoyed. The mom quickly grabbed napkins, wiped up the floor and the gentleman’s suit in front of her. She continued to clean up the spill, her turn quickly approaching. She asked the 20 something young lady if she was effected. She basically ignored the question and gave her a fake smile.
I was unaffected physically by the yogurt spill, completely effected emotionally. I was so ashamed of myself for ever being in a hurry, being impatient to get back to my desk. Then just as the thought crossed my mind I was shocked at what happened next. The cash register opened up as she was still wiping the floor. The impatient 20 something behind her quickly cut in front of her and went to order her food. The look on that poor mom’s face as she tried to gather the children, calm them and get them back in line was still composed. She waited her turn, ordered the kids their food and went on like it was nothing.
She will never know how much I understood … I would have traded her places in a minute. Now back at my desk in the corporate world … missing my kids like crazy, I am envious of her afternoon lunch with her little cowboy and ballerina. I should have told her that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I have seen the same things so many times Brooke and feel the exact same way! Some people are so self-important and it makes me crazy!!! Enjoy your kiddos when you get home from work-have a great weekend!
As the Mom that is usually the one with the kiddos making the messes, I know people are sometimes annoyed with us, but it's the older people that will come up and say, 'wow, it seems like just yesterday mine were little...enjoy every minute beacause it goes so fast!' that make up for the ones that get annpoyed by us-haha! I've had women tear up while talking to me in stores about how they just sent their oldest away to college, etc. I just have to smile at those that give me the sympathy look while I shop with my 2 monkey's or attempt to eat a meal out with them, and hope that one day they will understand, and if not...their loss, right!? I loved this blog entry and all the recent pics of the kiddos! :)
What an awesome blog post!! I needed that! ;-) And, please, don't you ever forget what an awesome momma you are regardless if you work or not! You give your kiddos the best you can and that's all anyone can ask for!
Brooke this made me tear up! It was beautifully written as I could picture exactly what went on! Thank you for sharing this!
Post a Comment